You use a lot of energy when you breathe. If your body is working hard to breathe and you don’t eat well, you will get tired quickly and you’ll have little energy left for normal daily activities or tasks. If you eat well your body will have enough energy to help you breathe and do all the activities you want to do.
If sometimes you don’t feel like eating then:
- Choose foods that will give you lots of energy in a small volume eg creamy soups, rice or milk puddings, foods with a slightly higher fat content like cheese or peanut butter.
- Don’t drink fluids until after you’ve eaten as these fill you up.
- Buy convenience foods or liquid meal preparations.
If you have trouble preparing your meals or getting to the shop then you can:
- Buy prepared meals from the supermarket
- Ask if someone can take you to the supermarket when they go
- Have home help prepare something for you to eat
- See if the local supermarket will deliver – you can order your groceries over the internet
TIP: If you get breathless when you eat you might find these tips useful:
- Eat small frequent meals throughout the day instead of three big meals
- Rest before eating
- Eat slowly and chew foods well
- Breathe evenly when chewing
- Take plenty of time to eat