Recurrent Skin Sepsis Pathway - Persistent Treatment Failure
Considerations for treatment failures:
- Adherence to treatment particularly consider financial issues including ability to pay for scripts or buy antiseptics.
- Undiagnosed or untreated household contacts.
- Non-household but close contacts - especially boyfriends/girlfriends, very occasionally pets have been shown to be important in carriage and transmission of S. aureus.
- Other underlying issues around infection or transmission - particularly scabies.
- Wrong diagnosis -things to consider if the swabs are negative.
- Hydradenitis suppurativa - particularly if lesions mostly in axillae or groin.
- Co-morbidities e.g. diabetes and more uncommonly renal or immune deficiency disease.
- Nutritional factors notably iron deficiency. Consider dietary history and growth chart in children.
- Discuss with Infectious disease physician, Micro/pathologist or Paediatrician or
- REFER including documentation of treatment regimen followed to date.
Last updated : Friday, August 21, 2015
Next review date : Saturday, August 20,2016
Disclaimer: This site is intended to be flexible and frequently updated. While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy, all information should be verified.