Health of Older People
Uncomplicated Dementia Pathway - Red Flags
Referral for more extensive investigation is required for memory loss in the presence of the following factors:
Patient: Age less than 60 years
- Rapid (i.e. over one to two months) decline in cognition or function.
- Unexplained neurological symptoms (e.g. new onset severe headache, seizures).
- Use of anticoagulants or history of bleeding disorder.
- History of cancer.
- Family history of neurodegenerative disease.
- Any new localising neurological signs.
- Unusual or atypical cognitive symptoms or presentation.
- Gait disturbance.
Last updated : Friday, August 21, 2015
Next review date : Saturday, August 20,2016
Disclaimer: This site is intended to be flexible and frequently updated. While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy, all information should be verified.