Thursday October 24, 2019
Proposed strike action by Medical Imaging Technologists (MIT) who are members of APEX (Association of Professionals and Executive Employees Inc)
First I would like to thank you for your continuing support of the Bay of Plenty District Health Board (BOPDHB) through the periods of industrial action over the past months. Your support is recognised by the DHB staff.
Over the past few days the BOPDHB has received notices from APEX setting out how their MIT members will be completing proposed strike action from 29 October through to 5 November 2019 at both Tauranga and Whakatāne Hospitals.
- From 0700 hours Tuesday 29 October to 0700 hours Wednesday 30 October there will be instances of partial strike action.
- From 0700 hours Wednesday 30 October to 0700 31 October, it is proposed that a complete withdrawal of labour at both Tauranga and Whakatāne Hospitals will occur.
- From 0700 hours Thursday 31 October to 0700 Friday 1 November there will be instances of partial strike action.
- From 0700 hours Friday 1 November to 0700 hours Saturday 2 November, a complete withdrawal of labour at both Tauranga and Whakatāne Hospitals will occur.
- From 0700 hours Monday 4 November to 0700 hours Tuesday 5 November there will be instances of partial strike action.
This proposed strike action will have a significant impact on service delivery at both Tauranga and Whakatāne Hospitals, as the work the MIT team completes is an essential part of elective and acute activity performed in our hospitals.
Contingency planning is well underway and we are doing our utmost to ensure patient safety leading up to and throughout the proposed 24 hour periods of industrial action. Unfortunately, we will need to reduce planned services significantly, which will include the postponement of some elective services.
Services affected will be those which require MIT’s to complete radiographic imaging for diagnostic and interventional purposes. Most services will remain open, however many will have significantly reduced services available.
- Radiology Services will be offering normal ultrasound and MRI services during the MIT Strike period; however there will be limited access to General x-ray and CT scan services.
We respect the right of staff to strike hence the importance we put on contingency planning to ensure the safety of patients, visitors and staff.
If you have any particular concerns please do not hesitate to contact me any time via email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 027 836 1896.