Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms (Males)
- Check MSU, Creatinine, PSA.
- If symptoms affecting quality of life, trial alpha blocker for 3 months (doxazosin or terazosin). If not tolerated or ineffective, start tamsulosin (Special Authority). Tamsulosin is available on special authority if non-selective alpha blockers are not tolerated or contraindicated. Apply for the authority online or click here for application form.
- For nocturia, limit caffeine and fluid intake at night. Nocturia is often multifactorial e.g. nocturnal polyuria, CHF, insomnia.
- Refer if:
- Urinary retention.
- Recurrent urinary tract infections.
- Renal impairment.
- Alpha blockers ineffective (minimum of 6 weeks trial) or patient intolerant of alpha blockers.
- Nocturia not improving (with voiding diary).
Last updated : Thursday, July 28, 2016
Next review date : Friday, July 28,2017
Disclaimer: This site is intended to be flexible and frequently updated. While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy, all information should be verified.