OST Pathway - About Substance Abuse/Drug Dependency
Substance Misuse is defined as use of a substance for a purpose not consistent with legal or medical guidelines, the substance having a negative effect on health or functioning and may take the form of drug dependence.
Dependence is defined as:
- a strong desire to take a substance, or difficulty in controlling its use
- the presence of a physiological withdrawal state
- tolerance of the use of the drug
- neglect of alternative pleasures
- persistent use of the drug despite harm to self and others
Last updated : Friday, August 21, 2015
Next review date : Saturday, August 20,2016
Disclaimer: This site is intended to be flexible and frequently updated. While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy, all information should be verified.