Adult Pneumonia Pathway - No routine requirement for CXR or sputum or bloods
- Chest Xray, sputum or bloods are not routinely recommended acutely in a community setting.
- Chest Xray can be appropriate in the following circumstances:
- when the diagnosis is unclear
- dullness to percussion or other signs of an effusion or collapse
- increased risk of malignancy (e.g. smokers, age >50, unexplained weight loss, haemoptysis)
- Arrange follow up Chest Xray 6 weeks later for those at risk of malignancy
- Cough and tiredness can continue for 4-6 weeks despite successful treatment. A chest Xray for these symptoms alone is not warranted.
Last updated : Thursday, December 21, 2017
Next review date : Friday, December 21,2018
Disclaimer: This site is intended to be flexible and frequently updated. While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy, all information should be verified.