Adult Pneumonia Pathway - Continue treatment
* Remember it often takes 3 to 5 days to see improvement after starting antibiotics, and cough/tiredness can continue for 4-6 weeks despite successful treatment.
- See 'Causes of slow resolution or recurrent infection'
- First choice Amoxicillin
- Adult: 500mg - 1g, three times daily, for five to seven days.
- If allergic to penicillin:
- Roxithromycin 300mg once daily for seven days or doxycycline 100mg twice daily for seven days.
- N.B: Ciprofloxacin should not be use as it does not reliably treat infection due to S.pneumoniae
- Broad spectrum beta-lactams such as amoxicillin + clavulanic acid are not usually indicated, even in mild CAP with COPD.
- In suspected legionella infection:
- Add in oral roxithromycin 300mg once daily for 10 to 14 days.
- Doxycycline 100mg twice daily for 10 to 14 days, is an alternative to roxithromycin.
- Avoid ciprofloxacin unless other antibiotics are contra-indicated due to concerns about resistance.
*Remember it often takes 3 to 5 days to see improvement after starting antibiotics.
Last updated : Monday, January 15, 2018
Next review date : Tuesday, January 15,2019
Disclaimer: This site is intended to be flexible and frequently updated. While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy, all information should be verified.